The 19th Asian Games Men’s Volleyball Tournament saw an intense Round of Last 12, with all top six unbeaten teams – China, Iran, India, Pakistan, Qatar, and Japan – sailing through, ensuring their position in the coveted Top 6 berths.
India, underdogs considering their previous rankings, delivered a masterstroke by beating Chinese Taipei in a straight-set victory. This comes on the back of their previous upset against Korea, proving their meteoric rise in the competition.
Japan, despite fielding a B team, showcased their depth and volleyball prowess, comfortably beating Kazakhstan to secure their spot in the Top 6.
Iran, consistent champions in the Asian games and sitting at world No. 11, once again displayed their dominance by thrashing Thailand in straight sets.
Qatar, in a more nail-biting match, overcame Bahrain to move forward in the tournament.
China, keeping their unbeaten streak alive, fought hard against Indonesia, taking a 3-1 victory. However, a small correction needs to be noted: Indonesia were the ones relegated to the ranking 7-12, not Thailand as previously mentioned.
Pakistan capped off the day with a brilliant performance, outclassing Korea in straight sets.
Round of 12 Results:
- Qatar defeated Bahrain: 3-1 (25-23, 18-25, 25-19, 25-17)
- Iran triumphed over Thailand: 3-0 (25-21, 25-18, 25-16)
- India overcame Chinese Taipei: 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-21)
- Japan ousted Kazakhstan: 3-0 (25-22, 25-21, 25-15)
- China clinched victory against Indonesia: 3-1 (25-17, 25-17, 23-25,25-22)
- Pakistan bested Korea: 3-0 (25-19, 22-25, 21-25)
The stage is now set for some exhilarating matches as the top teams clash for the coveted Asian Games Men’s Volleyball crown.