– How is you Russian language advancing Marlon?
– When I realized that I will spend the next season in Russia, I bought Russian books at once. I have a huge Russian-Portuguese and Portuguese-Russian dictionary. I have a great teacher here in Russia!
– Marlon, who will win the Cup of Russia?
– In my opinion, Zenit Kazan should win. They are prepared. Perhaps it would be Novosibirsk, I see this as the final.
– What do you think of “Belogorie”?
– Belgorod – a good team, but I do not think they can claim victory. That they can prevent Kazan or Novosibirsk.
– Russian Super League – the strongest championship in the world?
– Yes. I knew, of course about the power of the Russian Championship, when I came here. Russian championship is stronger than the Italian, in which I played a couple of years ago.
– This is due to the financial crisis in Italy, and, accordingly, in the Italian volleyball?
– Yes, most likely. The best players are leaving the Apennines in search of a better life. It is hard now, yeah.
– Is this the case in the Brazilian championship?
– Well, no, in Brazil were all right. We have quite a strong championship. In Brazil, there are traditionally a lot of new great players.
– Do you like to Krasnodar?
– Yes, I really, really like it! Even the cold weather was not very frightening. Although … it is disagreeable to a man accustomed to the tropical climate in his native country.
– What is the reason for the high popularity of volleyball in Brazil?
– Well, first, it is of course the success of our national team. Second, it is an excellent organization of our club championship.
– How did you start playing volleyball?
– I started when I was eight years old, left home at thirteen. It was so hard for my mom, she was terribly worried. I was so young, and left my home. At 20, I became a professional player.
– And you’ve got a sports family? Mother, father – they played sports?
– Yes, my dad was a football player. So all the time I was with the ball. My earliest memories – dad throws me the ball, and I’m trying to catch it.
– Marlon, your middle name – Japanese?
– Yes, it is the Japanese. My grandfather, my mother’s father – a Japanese. By the way, my third name – Syrian, because my dad was half Syrian.
– So you have mixed bloods …
– Yes (laughs). You know, for Brazil it is common.
– Alekno or Rezende?
– Good question. You know, yes, I have had problems with Rezende.
– Yes, I know.
– So. I do not like to talk about it. I waited too long to play for the national team. Rezende – he is a great coach, who am I to argue with that? But … he’s a very complex person, I can not understand him. He is a politician, but I do not like politics and do not want to participate in the political games. Alekno I do not know much, but he is a great coach, he proved that he is a great coach. At the Olympics, he showed his best side.
– What do you do in your spare time?
– I love to read. I love books. I read a series about the lives of great men. Indira Gandhi, Louis Armstrong … I love jazz. I love to read coaches’ books. I like to learn something from the people who were outstanding athletes, then became great coaches.
– Your teammates in Krasnodar love you.
– I also love them all!
Read more volleyball interviews.