“These explosive moves give you more bang for your buck; they’re intense; and they work several muscles at once,” says Kira Stokes, the creator of the Stoked 360 class for Reebok Sports Club/NY in New York City. “Your heart rate stays elevated the entire time you’re exercising, so you burn more calories, even after your workout is over.”
Do the six scorchers below as a circuit twice through for 10 minutes just three days a week. Then go out and play!
Plie Squat Jump (Targets abs, butt, and legs)
– Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out. Lower into a deep plie squat with hands clasped in front of chest.
– Jump as high as you can, tapping heels together in midair.
– Land with knees soft in plie squat position. Repeat for 45 seconds.
One-Legged Dead Lift Hop (Targets abs, butt, and legs)
– Stand on left leg, right knee lifted to hip height; raise arms out to sides and bend elbows (to resemble a goalpost).
– Keeping back flat and arms raised, hinge forward; extend right leg behind you (body is parallel to floor, head to right heel).
– Reverse motion, returning upright, and as right knee lifts forward, push off left leg to jump up.
– Land softly on left leg and repeat.
– Continue for 30 seconds, trying not to let right leg touch floor. Switch sides and repeat for 30 seconds.
– MAKE IT EASIER: After jump, tap right foot on floor, then lift knee again.
Double Jump (Targets abs, butt, and legs)
– Stand with feet hip-width apart and arms by sides. Lower into a deep squat and bring hands together in front of chest.
– Jump as high as you can and land in lunge position with left leg forward (bend both knees 90 degrees).
– Jump as high as you can again and land in squat position.
– Repeat the lunge-squat jump combo, landing with right leg forward. Continue for 45 seconds, alternating sides.
Lateral Lunge (Targets abs, butt, and legs)
– Step left leg out to left side, bending left knee while keeping right leg straight; hinge body forward from waist. Touch right hand to floor between feet and place left hand on top of left thigh.
– Pushing off left heel, shuffle to right two times, ending in side lunge to right with right knee bent and left leg straight; touch left hand to floor between feet.
– Repeat movement to left side, pushing off right heel.
– Continue for 45 seconds, alternating sides.
Pop-Up (Targets shoulders, triceps, abs, butt, and legs)
– Lie facedown on floor, palms next to chest, toes turned under.
– Do a push-up, using upward momentum to jump left foot in between hands and quickly stand up into a plie squat as you bring hands beside chest.
– Reverse motion to start.
– Continue for 45 seconds, alternating legs.
Plank-Straddle Hop (Targets shoulders, triceps, abs, butt, inner thighs, and outer thighs)
– Start on floor in plank position with feet hip-width apart, balancing on forearms and toes, elbows directly under shoulders, palms flat on floor.
– Hop feet out to sides into a wide V, then hop feet back to start position.
– Straighten arms, pressing palms into floor (hands will be slightly in front of shoulders on floor).
– Reverse motion, lowering forearms to floor. Repeat for 30 to 45 seconds.
To read more similar stories, check out our Fitness section.