Stretch your neck.
- Incline your head forward, but do not roll your head from side to side-this is dangerous. Instead, stretch your neck to the left, right, forward and back, but always return to center first!
- Tilt your head with ear toward shoulder, incline your head backward and roll your head from left to right, then right to left in a 30 degree motion.
- Be sure that while your head is tilted back, you keep your jaw relaxed and even let your mouth fall open just a bit.
Stretch your shoulder.
- Put your arm on your chest.
- Grab your forearm with the opposite arm.
- Pull your arm until you feel your shoulder being stretched.
- Push the arm you are stretching the opposite way in order to contract the muscle if you feel that your chest is stretching instead of your shoulder.
Stretch your triceps.
- Reach up with your right arm.
- Bend your right elbow and put your forearm down behind your head and between your shoulder blades.
- Reach up and grab your right elbow with your opposite arm.
- Pull your elbow toward your head.
Stretch your scapulae.
- Extend your arms in front of you.
- Join both hands together and cross fingers.
- Push your arms further and try to push your scapulae in opposite directions.
Stretch your wrists.
- Hold your arm out.
- Slightly pull back your hand down with your opposite hand.
- Repeat with other hand.
Stretch your quadriceps.
- Stand up and pull one leg behind you.
- Repeat with other leg.
Stretch your calves.
- Put your arms up against the wall.
- Bring one leg in towards it while keeping your other leg straight.
- Repeat with other leg.
Stretch your hamstrings.
- Sit on the floor and put one leg out.
- Reach for it and hold for a few seconds.
- Repeat with other leg, and then do it with both legs.
Stretch your legs fully.
- Lay flat on your back and extend your leg out.
- Grab the back of your thigh.
- Pull your leg towards your face.
- Don’t jerk your leg, it may cause an injury.
Do a butterfly stretch.
- Sit on the floor.
- Press the soles of your feet together.
- Pull your feet the closest you can.
- Put your hands on your ankles to where your elbows are lined up with your knees.
- Push against your elbows trying to close your legs. (This contracts your groin muscles to help you get a deeper stretch.)
- Push your knees down.
Stretch your lower back.
- Lay down.
- Bring one leg onto your chest.
- Repeat with your other leg, and then do it with both.
Stretch your jaw.
- Incline your head back, rest your chin on your palm, and pull your jaw open.
- Say “Aaahh!” (you can mime it).
- Grab your chin with your thumb, index and middle fingers.
- Stretch it left to right. This exercise will help if you have been hit to the jaw (e.g., knocked-out in boxing).
For similar stories, click on Stretching.