The confirmation of teams is based on the following formula:
• 1 host team (Japan)
• 3 teams from Asia (not qualified for the Olympic Games)
• 4 non-Asian teams being the highest ranked teams not-qualified for the Olympic Games (as at January 4, 2012 or following the completion of all Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments, whichever is later) as per drawing of lots distribution:
– 2 Europe, 1 NORCECA, 1 South America or 1 Africa (granted to the highest ranked team in the world ranking between South America and Africa*).
• Japan (host country)
• Korea (2011 Asia Championship best team after China (qualified at World Cup) and hosts Japan)
• Thailand (2011 Asia Championship second best team after China, Japan and Korea)
• Chinese Taipei (2011 Asia Championship third best team after China, Japan, Korea and Thailand)
• CEV1 Serbia (Best ranked team on world rankings as of January 4, 2012)
• CEV2 Russia (Second best ranked team on world rankings as of January 4, 2012)
• NORCECA1 Cuba (Best ranked team on world rankings as of January 4, 2012)
• CSV1 or CAVB 1 Peru*** (Best ranked team on world rankings as of January 4, 2012)
*** Peru took the place of Kenya due the county’s inability to attend the World Olympic Qualification Tournament.
The joint AVC and World Women’s Olympic Qualification Tournament offers four vacancies to the Olympic Games. The top three teams will book a place at London 2012 followed by the best Asian team, which will join them as per the Asian Confederation vacancy.